Sunday, April 17, 2011

Difficulty Paper #1 "Scarlet Letter"

In reading the Scarlete Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne my difficulty I am having on reading this is trying to understand the language used in it.  It is not your everyday use of language. I believe it to be Old English. So therefore I have to keep reading it over and over to try and understand exactly what the passage is saying. I find myself having to refere to my little Webster Dictionary just to get through some of the pages.  I like the story I have heard of it many years ago and know that a movie has been made from it but in reading it, it is intersting to read minus the language being used. "Pang" is not a word I ever heard before and now I know that it means "Pain"..."let her cover the mark as she will, the pang of it will be always in her heart" (39).

Sometimes I find myself getting a little bored reading the story only because I can't flow through the story like I could the Flowers. I love reading so I will get through the story but my interest is limited due to the language block.

No comments:

Post a Comment